The Omnibus series are an ongoing series of comic book trade paperback reprints published by Dark Horse Books from 2007 onwards. The Omnibus releases are a widespread attempt by Dark Horse Comics at reissuing all of the pre-existing comics from their major lines in a uniform format, making them readily accessible to readers once more. The series includes several releases focussing on the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator lines, released between 2007 and 2008 and edited by Chris Warner.
Overview and Omissions
The first Aliens/Predator/Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus to be released was Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus: Volume 1, published in June 2007. Subsequent Omnibus editions from the franchises followed at one or two month intervals.
While comprehensive, the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator collections are not utterly exhaustive and a number of comics, chiefly from the Aliens line, are not included. Among the titles omitted are the small number of comics to which Dark Horse does not own the rights, most notably Alien: The Illustrated Story, as well as the various non-canon crossover comics that introduced the Xenomorphs and Yautja to other comic book franchises; according to Dark Horse editor Chris Warner, an Omnibus containing these stories was not produced as the potential profit would not have matched the cost of compiling it, especially as any profit made would need to be split with the other publishing companies involved. The only crossover comics available in Omnibus form are Ghost: Trophy Ghost, X: Comeback and X: Hell Night, all part of the Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack! event, which are exclusively Dark Horse properties and are collected in Omnibus titles for their respective series. Furthermore, unlike some of the other Omnibus lines from Dark Horse, the Aliens, Predator and Aliens vs. Predator Omnibus releases have not proven to be an ongoing project, meaning that all of the comics published after 2008 remain uncollected in this format.
Not counting comics published after the Omnibus editions were released, titles that are missing from the collections include:
- Aliens: Countdown
- Predator 2
- Aliens: Tribes
- Alien3: Alone
- Aliens: Newt's Tale
- Aliens: Renegade
- Alien3: Terminal Addiction
- Operation: Aliens
- Alien Resurrection
- Alien vs. Predator: Thrill of the Hunt
Finally, the versions of Aliens: Outbreak, Aliens: Nightmare Asylum and Aliens: Female War included in the Omnibus collections are the edited releases from the 1990s, featuring the characters of Wilks and Billie in place of Hicks and Newt. The original versions of these stories were not made available in print again until the Original Comic Series releases in 2016/2017.
Dark Horse Omnibus Collections
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 1 (July 2007)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 2 (Dec 2007)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 3 (Mar 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 4 (July 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 5 (Oct 2008)
- Aliens Omnibus: Volume 6 (Dec 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 1 (Aug 2007)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 2 (Feb 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 3 (June 2008)
- Predator Omnibus: Volume 4 (Sept 2008)
Aliens vs. Predator
- X Omnibus: Volume 2 (Aug 2008) — contains X: Comeback and X: Hell Night, part of Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack!
- Ghost Omnibus: Volume 1 (Oct 2008) — contains Ghost: Trophy Ghost, part of Hunting the Heroes: The Predators Attack!
- http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=27167.msg582426#msg582426 AVPGalaxy - Comics Missed from Omnibus