Marvel Comics is an American comic book publishing company based in New York City, New York. It was founded in 1939 by Martin Goodman. Since 2021, Marvel has served as the principle publisher of Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator comic books, taking over from Dark Horse Comics.
Marvel Comics is the brand name and primary imprint of Marvel Worldwide Inc., formerly Marvel Publishing, Inc. and Marvel Comics Group. In 2009, The Walt Disney Company acquired Marvel Entertainment, Marvel Worldwide's parent company.
Marvel is best known as the publisher of comic book superheroes such as Spider-Man, The Incredible Hulk, Fantastic Four, X-Men, Iron Man and others, many of which have since been adapted as part of the enormously successful Marvel Cinematic Universe. It also owns the license to produce comic books based on the Star Wars franchise.
- As a way to celebrate its acquisition of the rights to publish Alien comic books, Marvel produced a range of 19 variant covers featuring prominent Marvel characters encountering Xenomorphs, released throughout January 2021. Marvel was also set to release six similar Predator-themed crossover in May 2021, but these were postponed as a result of the ongoing legal battle over the rights to the Predator franchise with its creators Jim and John Thomas.
- The cover art of Marvel's Aliens: The Original Years Volume One garnered controversy after Tristan Jones accused cover artist Greg Land of tracing his work, specifically several pieces of Jones' concept art for Aliens: Defiance. Jones would subsequently post evidence showing how Land's cover artwork showed glaring similarities his own pieces. Several sites noted how this was not the first time Land had been accused of plagiarism in this manner. Subsequent to Jones' complaint, fans found further evidence of tracing in Land's cover art, including similarities between the Egg in the bottom left corner of the cover and a replica sold by NECA.
Alien variant covers
Predator variant covers
- Marvel Comics website
- Marvel Comics on Wikipedia
- Marvel Comics on Marvel Database
- Marvel Comics on Wookieepedia
- Schedeen, Jesse (July 2, 2020). "IGN - Alien vs Predator vs Iron Man? Marvel Comics Acquires Two Iconic Sci-Fi Franchises". IGN. Retrieved on August 26, 2020.
- "CBR.com - Aliens' Tristan Jones Accuses Greg Land of Plagiarizing Art for Marvel Omnibus". Retrieved on 2021-01-16.
- "Observer - Marvel Illustrator Greg Land Once Again Accused of Plagiarism". Retrieved on 2021-01-16.
- "Studio Yutani - Tristan Jones is plagiarised by Greg Land in Marvel Alien Omnibus Cover". Retrieved on 2021-01-16.
- "Plagiarism Today - Comic Artist Greg Land Accused of Plagiarism (Again)". Retrieved on 2021-06-02.