The M5 Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) is a portable, shoulder-fired, reloadable, semi-automatic unguided anti-armor rocket-propelled grenade launcher used by United States Colonial Marine Corps as their standard issue RPG.
The launcher itself is composed of a steel alloy tube, 140 cm in length and 2.3 kg in weight, which incorporates backblast diffusers, a trigger mechanism, a 4x power telescopic sight mounted on the left side of the tube and backup iron sights on the top. The round fired is a 60mm hypervelocity spin-stabilized rocket, weighing just 2.2 kg, armed with an impact-fused supercritical High Explosive Armor Piercing warhead. The rocket has an accurate range of approximately 400 m and a maximum range of 2,000 m.
Though the M5 RPG has little chance of penetrating modern medium and heavy tank armor, it is both popular and effective in its secondary role against infantry in cover within bunkers and building strongpoints. Some Marines in the field, despite its low-tech design, have found the M5 to be more useful than other anti-armor weapons such as M78 PIG.
Two M5 RPGs make up part of a standard Rifle Platoon's organic support weapons.
Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013 video game)
In Aliens: Colonial Marines, the M5 RPG appears as the M5 RPG Launcher. In the game, the M5 is a heavy weapon and when equipped the player will not drop any weapons they were previously carrying (unless the player was carrying another heavy weapon such as a M240 Incinerator Unit or M56 Smartgun) and the player will not be able to switch to any of their other weapons without dropping the RPG. In multiplayer the RPG can be found lying around the maps in certain areas or be obtained if a Marine using the M5 is killed since he will drop the weapon upon death. If lost the M5 will eventually respawn in the same place it was found before.
Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual
The M5 rocket propelled grenade system is a small reloadable shoulder-launched weapon. The launcher consists of a 140 cm steel alloy tube weighing 2.3 kg, with a rear backblast vent incorporating backblast diffusers, trigger mechanism and 4x power telescopic sight. Each 2.2 kg round is a 60 mm hypervelocity spin-stabilised rocket with an impact-fused supercritical HEAT warhead. The rounds are carried seperately and handloaded into the launch tube. Sighted visually, the system has an accurate range of approximately 400 m and a maximum range of around 2,000 m. Though the rocket's warhead has little chance against medium and heavy tank armor, it has proven popular and effective for use in its secondary role against infantry in bunkers and building strongpoints.
List of Appearances
- Aliens (mentioned only)
- Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual
- Aliens: Colonial Marines (video game)
- In Aliens the M5 RPG is briefly mentioned by Pvt. Hudson when he is boasting about the USCM's arsenal to Ripley; "We got tactical smart missiles, Phase Plasma Pulse Rifles, RPGs...".
- The photo of the M5 in the Brady Games Aliens: Colonial Marines Guide (seen above) appears to have had the bottom of the M5's grips cut off.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual, p. 77 (2012), Titan Books.
- ↑ When using the Sgt. Apone skin in Aliens: Colonial Marines multiplayer, he will sometimes say "Standard issue RPG" when using the M5
- ↑ Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual, p. 13 (2012), Titan Books.