- "Standard issue USCM 9mm pistol comprised of a lightweight steel alloy."
- ―M4A3 Service Pistol description (from Aliens: Colonial Marines)
The Armat M4A3 Service Pistol, also known simply as the Service Pistol, is an American-made semi-automatic, recoil operated, magazine-fed pistol chambered for 9mm ammunition. It was notably employed by the United States Colonial Marine Corps as their standard issue sidearm. The M4A3 is part of the M4 family of handguns and was succeeded by the upgraded M4A4.
The M4A3 is a 9mm automatic, recoil operated, magazine-fed handgun. The working mechanism is made of steel alloy with some high-strength plastic parts, while the outer casing is machined from lightweight alloys. The entire weapon, including a full 12-round magazine, weighs no more than 0.95 kg. The M4A3 is largely ineffective at stopping most Xenomorphs and Yautja, making it somewhat of a last resort weapon.
The M4A3 is notable for being the standard issue sidearm of the United States Colonial Marine Corps and is standard for USCM Medics and Synthetics. Due to it being largely ineffective against most Xenomorphs and Yautja, it is usually used as a last resort weapon. The M4A3 was also the standard sidearm of Weyland-Yutani PMC Grunts.
- Laser Targeting System: "Underslung red LED targeting laser; emits a laser targeting reticule consistent with projectile trajectory, even at long distances. +2 accuracy." (unlocked at rank 4)
- A27 High Velocity Round: "An alternate ammo type; propellant-assisted rounds exit the pistol's barrel at a significantly higher velocity, causing tremendous damage. +2 firepower, -2 rate of fire." (unlocked at rank 19)
- A7 Sound Suppressor: "Cylindrical barrel-mounted attachment; reduces speed of propellant gasses, resulting in an overall reduction of volume for each shot fired. -1 firepower, +1 accuracy." (unlocked at rank 9)
- 9mm Ball: The M4's standard ammunition is a 126 grain 9mm ball rimless straight round. Although adequate against soft targets, this round has very poor armor penetration characteristics even at close range, leading to the introduction of the M901 round (see below).
- M901: A new armor-piercing cartridge being introduced to replace the standard ammunition for the M4, the M901 consists of a subcaliber metal core encased in a high-impact resin bullet. Upon impact, the resin case breaks apart, allowing the core to penetrate the target's armor.
- Money Maker: Custom paint job consisting of a gold pattern alongside custom engravings (awarded for completing the Straight Shooter challenge)
- The M4A3 is visually based on the Colt M1911.
- The M4A3 appears to be O'Neal's sidearm of choice.
- Vasquez's Pistol in Aliens: Colonial Marines erroneously uses a modified M4A3 model, making the pistol more similar to an M1911 than the Smith & Wesson Model 39 she actually used in Aliens.
- Unlike many of the weapons in Aliens: Colonial Marines, the M4A3 was actually not created for the game, first appearing in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual and then going on to appear in the 1999 video games Aliens versus Predator and Aliens versus Predator: Extinction.
- You can dual wield M4A3s in Aliens versus Predator (1999).
- Concept art for Aliens: Colonial Marines reveals that the M4A3 seen in the game was originally going to be a somewhat antique Colt M1911.
- Aliens versus Predator (1999 video game)
- Aliens versus Predator: Extinction
- Aliens: Colonial Marines/Stasis Interrupted (video game)
- Alien: Isolation (novel)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013), Gearbox Software, SEGA [Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360].
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Lee Brimmicombe-Wood. Aliens: Colonial Marines Technical Manual, p. 26 (2012), Titan Books.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Aliens versus Predator: Extinction - Bestiary