The Heckler & Koch MP5 (from Maschinenpistole 5, "machine pistol model 5") is a 9mm submachine gun of German design, developed in the 1960s by the German small arms manufacturer Heckler & Koch GmbH. There are over 100 variants of the MP5, including a semi-automatic version.
The MP5 was developed from the successful G3 series of battle rifles and as such shares many similarities, most notably its sighting arrangement and general layout, as well as its internal mechanism. The weapon can also accept a wide array of accessories, including various optics, illumination devices, laser sights, extended magazines and suppressors — Heckler & Koch notably manufacture a quick-release scope mount for the weapon, along with a foregrip that can accommodate an integrated flashlight. Likely because of its ability to be heavily customized, the weapon has proven popular with special forces around the world, including the British SAS.
While the MP5 was officially superseded by the Heckler & Koch UMP in the mid-1990s, both are still being manufactured.
Numerous variants of the MP5 are offered, including a large number of trigger grouping and stock combinations. Perhaps the most well-known variant of the MP5 is the compact MP5K, designed for close quarters battle use by clandestine operatives and special forces; several variants of the MP5K itself are also available.
In Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem, the soldiers that confront the survivors at the helicopter crash site at the end of the film are armed with MP5A3s fitted with suppressors, optics and flashlights. One of the soldiers is armed with an MP5SD3, a version with an integral suppressor.
In Predators, Cuchillo carries a pair of compact MP5K submachine guns with custom leather covers on the foregrips. He appears to only carry one magazine per gun, as he quickly runs out of ammunition and is forced to switch to a side-arm instead.
- At one point, the M41A Pulse Rifle props in Aliens were going to be built from MP5A3 submachine guns. The M41A based on the MP5 still appears on in the film on Frost's "PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER" T-shirt.
- The MP5A3s seen in Predator are not actually MP5s, but rather civilian-legal semi-automatic-only HK94s, cut down to resemble MP5s and converted to fully-automatic. These weapons were used extensively in action movies of the 80s and 90s as it was cheaper to acquire and convert an HK94 than it was to obtain a real MP5.
- In the novelization of Alien vs. Predator, Max Stafford and his mercenaries are predominantly armed with MP5s. However, in the film Stafford's team instead use Heckler & Koch G36 assault rifles.
- The MP5 is the only firearm to appear in all of the Predator films.
- The MP5 is one of several Heckler & Koch weapons to appear in the Alien, Predator and Alien vs. Predator franchises; the other are the VP70, G3, G36 and HK45.