Alien: 20th Anniversary Edition, known as simply Alien in the United Kingdom, is a 1999 DVD containing the original 1979 theatrical cut of Alien, along with several bonus features. Essentially, the single disc was simply the first disc from The Alien Legacy DVD box set released as a separate package. As such, it contains the same bonus features as that disc.
The DVD was released on June 1, 1999 in the United States and Canada, alongside the corresponding DVD releases of Aliens Special Edition, Alien3 and Alien Resurrection. In the UK, the DVD was released on May 15, 2000.
As well as the advertised material, the Alien: 20th Anniversary Edition DVD also contains several secret Easter eggs that allow access to otherwise hidden content. Both of these are accessed from the special features section; the first is the Nostromo flight plan and biographies for each of the crew, the latter of which are based on Ridley Scott's original character notes, while the second is a report on the various stages of the Xenomorph's life cycle compiled by Ash.
- Audio commentary with director Ridley Scott
- Composer's original isolated score by Jerry Goldsmith
- Alternate music and production sound audio track
- 10 deleted scenes:
- 2 outtakes:
- Rise and Shine
- Alien Attacks Lambert
- Original Ridley Scott storyboards
- Trailers and TV spots
- Production and promotional image galleries
As is the case with virtually all DVDs, the film has been sectioned into chapters, similar to tracks on a CD. The titles of these chapters are listed below.
|2||Early to Rise|
|5||Dead a Long Time|
|6||Eggs or Something|
|7||A Wonderful Defence Mechanism|
|8||Missing a Guest|
|11||Seek and Destroy|
|13||No Blood, No Dallas|
|14||A Confrontation with Ash|
|17||Destruct System Activated|
|18||T-minus Thirty Seconds|
|19||The Last Survivor|
- The "Alternate music and production sound" audio track found on this DVD remains exclusive to this release (and the corresponding Alien Legacy box set). It had been planned to include the track on the Alien Anthology Blu-ray set, but it was ultimately left off as a result of space concerns.
- ↑ "Blu-ray.com - Alien DVD (US)". Retrieved on 2018-03-01.
- ↑ "Blu-ray.com - Alien DVD (UK)". Retrieved on 2018-03-01.
- ↑ "The Digital Bits - Blu-ray Review: Alien Anthology". Retrieved on 2016-01-11.